Head of Paid Media
HEAD OF PAID MEDIA
AKA NYC is an award-winning, fully integrated advertising agency with unparalleled expertise across the arts & entertainment, leisure, travel, retail, and tourism sectors.
With a focus on creativity, innovation, and consumer experiences, we have a proven record of delivering cross-platform campaigns that get results for new brands and iconic institutions alike. Our clients include top Broadway Shows, Museums and Galleries, Visitor Attractions, and Retail Destinations.
Reporting to the agency SVP of Media and Client Services, the Head of Paid Media oversees and manages our holistic in-house paid media planning and buying team. This is a full-time exempt position that is based in New York City with opportunity for hybrid in-office/work from home.
WHAT YOU’LL DO (IN BRIEF):
Lead and mentor: You will lead, develop and manage the AKA media team to deliver best in class service to our clients.
Offer exceptional client Service and build client relationships: You will be a primary point of contact and relationship holder of a select number of our high-profile media clients. You will oversee the media team to offer exceptional service to internal stakeholders and external clients.
Share your passion for all things media: You are passionate about all forms of media, love to spot a new opportunity or media first, get pumped when you see successful results from media campaigns. You will drive the team to always question the expected and provide bespoke, tailored media plans for each of our clients. You will pitch campaigns and new media initiatives to our clients with passion and belief.
Be a critical thinker: Working with our in-house Business Intelligence team, you will assess and report on the success of our campaigns, making pro-active recommendations to your team and/or your clients where necessary.
Big-Picture thinking: You will contribute to the agency’s commercial and business objectives.
New Business: You will share responsibility to promote and raise profile of the agency with clients and new business prospects.
IN MORE DETAIL:
Department Management and Leadership
- Mentor, lead, train and supervise the members of the cross-platform paid media team.
- Regularly review the department’s workflow process to ensure best practice across the team and efficiency between departments. Suggest improvements as required.
- Lead departmental projects which include but are not limited to; agency deals, Media POVs, process creation, etc.
- Support fellow departmental leadership by sharing knowledge i.e., case studies, process, etc.
- Participation/ attendance at industry conferences, speaking events, and committees.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships within the agency, using influence to build consensus and support between Client Services team, Business Intelligence team and other departments, seeking win-win solutions and ensuring issues are resolved.
- Maintain excellent knowledge of the media marketplace; provide Client Services with up-to-date information on all media trends, circulations, changing print formats, digital media updates and broadcast industry news, new opportunities, and general media developments.
- Work with department members to ensure continual evaluation and improvement of briefing and workflow between Media, Client Services and Business Intelligence.
- Manage team growth by teaching media principles, administering performance reviews, and guiding development of deliverables.
- Develop internal and external processes for streamlined and timely workflow.
- Demand innovation and creativity in all aspects of the media service delivery from the team.
- Inspire and encourage the team to identify and action media-firsts across all media.
Client and Partner Liaison and Management
- Advance client relationships by maintaining positive rapport and championing trust.
- Establish rapport with internal agency contacts and external agency partners.
- Develop media vendor relations across all media formats. Develop and maintain agency and personal relationships with senior media representatives.
- Review and continually seek to improve the presentation of media schedules and all client documents.
- Create new direct relationships with selected clients.
- Collaborate with client account leads to develop strategic media approach on select accounts.
- Evaluate current health of client business via analysis of relevant business metrics (ROI, A/S)
- Guide clients and internal teams in education of evolving concepts and digital executions within the industry, acting as trusted and sought out resource for clients and agency team members
- Guide translation of client goals to the media team, and media partners
- Deliver expert knowledge of all forms of media and understanding of supplier needs.
- Monitor the overall quality of work before presentation to clients.
- Attend and present media opportunities at client meetings as and when appropriate.
Media Planning and Buying
- Plan, communicate, negotiate, buy, and implement effective and constantly improving media strategies for client campaigns, ensuring client aims are fully understood and met.
- Be proactive in planning and delivery and meet with account teams on a regular basis.
- Seek new media solutions to deliver on clients’ goals.
- Maintain and build upon thorough understanding of the digital media landscape.
- Negotiate best possible value for clients and the agency. Negotiate added-value opportunities with media vendors.
- Develop, generate, and nurture vendor relationships and media partnerships.
- Encourage and facilitate big picture strategy (media attribution modeling, etc.)
- Identify and propose new and improved services for full service and media-only clients.
- Continually look to improve the agency’s buying rates with all suppliers.
- Oversee the department’s finances.
- Undertake monthly financial reviews to monitor billing, pre-payment. etc.
- Deliver the media department objectives that reflect the agency’s commercial business goals and make the best use of team skills.
- Deliver monthly financial departmental report at leadership level
New Business and Communication
- Support new business initiatives as needed
- Maintain awareness of upcoming potential new business from both existing and new clients and follow up on potential leads.
- Contribute and assist in the delivery of pitches for new full service and media-only business as and when required.
- Develop regular external media communications to build and develop our reputation with existing and potential clients.
- Seek opportunities to PR AKA’s media offering through Trade publications and awards submissions.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- 8 years minimum experience in paid media advertising or related role at an advertising agency.
- Experience in a senior role, leading and mentoring a team.
- Passionate team player and self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Extensive experience developing, optimizing, analyzing, and reporting on paid campaigns across brand and performance objectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent relationship building, diplomacy, and decision-making skills with the ability to think creatively.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A competitive salary commensurate on market and experience
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- A generous PTO entitlement, including:
- 20 days vacation per year
- 3 personal/mental health days
- 13 paid public holidays
- 5 paid sick days
- Summer Friday 1/2 days
- Flexible Work from Anywhere policy for specific roles and/or projects
- Flexible 40-hour week built around core hours M-F 10AM-5PM
- Hybrid position: minimum three days per week in office.
- Pet-friendly office.
A Note on Diversity and Inclusion
At AKA, we believe our team is at its best when we reflect the diversity of our community. We strive to hire and cultivate the best talent so when recruiting we work to actively reach and engage a wide community of people. We’re passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We believe a diverse team makes us smarter, more creative, and helps us better understand the needs of the audiences we target with our campaigns.
AKA is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law.
AKA NYC requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the first date of on-site work. As required by applicable law, AKA will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Sound like a good fit? We’d love to hear from you!